Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Adventure is Out There, St. Petersburg Edition



This post is for those budget-travelers, the backpackers, and those who want to explore the unbeaten path.

If you are like me and its your first time in Russia or Europe it can be overwhelming to know where to start to find those unique places of travel. And you might be thinking, how can I travel with a small budget? Look to the right and then go on.

  So now that I have been there and seen it I can offer those tips- those things I wish I knew before leaving the states. And even those places of interest they don't mention in the guidebooks. Because... I think it's better to find
your own adventure.

So if you look at the map above you will see all the cities that I will cover beginning with St. Petersburg. Then on to Helsinki, Tallin, and Riga.

Here we go:

Oh St.Petersburg, the city that leaves you yearning for more.
For one thing, you need a month to even see the whole city.
 But you only have 3 days- better have good walking shoes. And it can be done.
For starters budget for at least $20 for travel around the city. Metro cost 28r (rubles) a ride with limitless transfers. Coins can be purchased at any machine or "kacca"

I would recommend picking what you really want to see beforehand. St. Petersburg is so big so you will have to plan well.
Here are some of my favorite placeswhich aren't even highlights in any guidebook 
I have read. That is why they are my favorites. 

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood
Morbidly named place where
 Alexander II was murdered by a Revolutionary Party.
Peter and Paul Fortress
Built by Peter the Great to keep out the
Swedish armies. Also home to all memorials for
past Romanovs, including Anastasia's family.
This was my most favorite part since I have been
studying the history of their family.
You can also go up to this bell tower and take a
panorama or two of the beautiful Neva River. Only
100 r or you can pay 250 r and observe from the "look-out".
IYTC and ISIC CARD DISCOUNT








Mariinsky Theatre
This is where I left my heart before I left for Finland.
Absolutely so beautiful and you cannot miss a performance!
This is where The Nutcracker first debuted and also flopped.
Hard to believe right?
I decided not to share a picture of the inside because it's worth
seeing on your own. Tickets can be purchased here:
http://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill


Places to Stay & Fill your Belly:

My hostel of choice is Pitersiky Dvorik ( (http://www.booking.com/hotel/ru/piterskiy-dvorik.en-gb.html?sid=59bcfdce95514bafe77744355fa87188;dcid=2)

Same line as all of the major sights but not quite in the middle of center where hostels are more expensive.

Stolle is he place to get cheap homemade food like your Russian grandma would make. Seriously, their pies or pirogi are delicious and what made them famous. They are everywhere since they originated here.


And my last highlight would of course be on the Hermitage. You can't visit St. Petersburg and not stop by and visit the wonderful collections. This being one of the largest in the world, thanks to Catherine the Great who began collecting many of the pieces. I wouldn't miss the beautiful Peacock Clock gifted to her either.



I would do a little bit of research to pick your rooms so you do not become to overwhelmed when you get there. 

If you have an ISIC or *IYTC card then the admission is free. Couldn't get better than that! 
(*ILPers this is the one provided by the office if you choose to purchase the travel insurance)

Another tip, I would get there right when it opens at 10:30 to get a spot in line. After 12 noon it can be close to impossible to enter, especially during the summer months. 
While I meant to continue with the other countries, I have already written quite a bit. So more later on Finland, Estonia & Latvia.

Until then, keep exploring and comment with any additional tips!

Uvidimsya!

1 comment:

  1. yay for Saint Petersburg....the window into Russia! I don't see snow in these pictures, how's the weather now? I am so so happy you get to see all those amazing places we studied in class! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Followers