Friday, September 13, 2013

Uniqueness of a Culture

The topic I have been wanting to write about is about the Russian babushka, or ба́бушка. The word meaning "grandmother". I believe that they are the support for all of Russia, young and old ( well younger than them.) I just admire their kindness whether it was from one exhibiting kindness towards me or to another on the street. They sweep up sidewalks that aren't theirs and feed stray dogs. They care for any and all. While I have two experiences with a babuska, one who lent me her umbrella and walked me to my destination and another that argued with my husband about whether we lived on on the 7th or 9th floor ( a wonderful story that should be shared by him)- both have been priceless moments that show the character of this country. I have just been meaning to share a little about what makes this country so unique. They care so much for their elderly, it just makes you want to go hug your grandma! ( So get up and call her already!) 



While this whole post was not all dedicated to the sweet grandmas of Russia I just wanted to shed some light on the experiences of the week. This city has so much to explore and so many little quirks. The hubs and I decided that Thursdays would be our "adventure" days since neither of us teach. So that is exactly what we did. We hopped on a bus and walked for about three hours in one direction. We just wanted to take in the beauty of this city and just find something new. 


But since we are a couple of foodies we really only found little food places that we can share. Russia has the most amazing food! Whether its on the street or in a nice restaurant- it is all good. Some may not agree but I believe that a food shows the back story of a countries culture. We have tried alot of Russian food and Jordanian food as well. My favorite has been a "Sharma", a Jordanian meal. While it was off the street it was delicious, even more so with a bottle of coke to "wash out the worms" as the hubs so eloquently puts it. But if it looks good eat it! 


So that is all for now. I try to refrain from long posts that have you stop reading at the 7th paragraph. More later on experiences in the classroom!




Fbody

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I love the food I have tried here! I can't wait to try more and different food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay for Babushki!!! I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete

Followers